Monday, August 30, 2010

What Next Lord?....Locusts?

Have you ever noticed how bad things happen in threes? It is a common theme in literature and in life....and so it is too with my life.

Last week my maternal grandmother went to the hospital because her chest was hurting her. Specifically her sternum and ribs. After many X-rays and bone scans it turned out that she had minor fractures in her sternum and had broken two ribs. My grandmother is in her seventies, has osteoporosis and fibromyalgia but otherwise is in great health. In fact my grandfather has the majority of the health problems (too many to name) so when I was told that grandma was in the hospital I was totally shocked.

Since bones don't normally break without serious provocation the doctors did several tests to check to see what could have caused her bones to be so weak. Essentially it could have been one of two things, one severe osteoporosis and the other bone cancer....I bet you can guess which one she was diagnosed with...yeah it turned out to be bone cancer. Andrew and I went to visit her this weekend (my grandparents live in Tulsa) and heard it from her doctor's mouth. She has Multiple Myeloma. It is treatable, but being that she is so advanced in years, I don't know if she will be able to survive the treatment options.

My grandma and I are very very close. She has been there for every major and minor event in my life. She was there when I was born, when I cheered at football games, when I graduated from High School, Law School, she was at my Wedding and she was there when Aidan was born. I spent every summer with her up until I was 13 or 14. She paid for me to study in Europe, I would never have met my husband if it weren't for her. I am just devastated that this is happening to her. She is such a wonderful woman and a devout Christian. Always strong always faithful.

You might be thinking, "Well, she is in her seventies and has lived a long life." This is true, but she has been in great health and the women in our family live at least in to their eighties. I thought she had at least 10+ more years!

"So, Amanda, you said bad things happen in threes....What is the third bad thing that happened?"....Hmm funny you should ask....Today I found out that my father has diabetes. Yep, type II diabetes. I can't say it was a total shock as my father is a fairly large man and does not eat very healthy, but his cholesterol is always good and his blood pressure is good and he doesn't have diabetes in his family. What really is troubling about this news is that I don't think my dad will change his eating habits even knowing the risk involved. I think he is addicted to food and I am so afraid that he won't have the self control or desire to want to change and then the disease will take over his body and he will miss out on years with the family and (hopefully one day) his grandchildren.

At this point I am just shocked...first Aidan, then my grandma and now my dad! I don't want to get all woe is me on you, but WTF!!! After Aidan died I was told by many people that it would get better; that eventually I will find happiness again....Well, I wish that it would get better already because we are going in the wrong direction people!!

I want you to know, I'm not blaming God for any of this, I'm just angry that this is happening to my family. I am going to continue to pray for help, strength and for my family's health and healing. I am going to pray and hope that it actually will get better....and soon!

Love, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment